How to spot bad information
There is another very helpful article by Dr Siouxsie Wiles and Toby Morris in The Spinoff regarding misinformation and disinformation.
Their red flags for how to spot bad information are particularly well-summarised. Bad information will:
- downplay COVID-19 and the pandemic
- focus on survival rate
- ignore long COVID
- emphasise individual freedom
- try to sell you something
- push simple cures/treatments
- make you feel fearful or angry.
“Good information put out to help you make an informed choice won’t make you feel scared or angry. It’ll make you feel empowered.”